Friday, October 3, 2014

Big Money = Big Signs


It is generally accepted that Big Money tremendously influences the outcome of an election.  In these final few weeks prior to the election, I am inundated with emails asking for money with the advisory that money goals must be met to compete against the opponent's estimated money war chest.  HUH!  What happened to vetting the candidate, NOT on money raised, but on Skill, Knowledge, Experience and Integrity? 

Shown in the picture is the Big Money sign, one of many, not only the large version but a plethora of smaller clones.  The Big Money sign might be either of my two competitors.  Next to it, is MY SIGN. I know of one candidate, who did not succeed in the Primaries who had 5,000 yard signs and was waiting for his staff of volunteers to come and get their quota for installation.  That’s what Big Money can do.  At the other end of the spectrum is ME and my sign.  I can honestly report that I personally erected every one of my signs – all one (1) of them.  I probably wouldn’t have put this one up except one of my competitors put their sign up at the end of the street where I live.  I took that as a personal challenge and quickly responded with MY sign.


OK, so what is the point? (1) Signs reflect Big Money supporters who reasonably expect to be remembered; (2) Like Pavlov’s classical conditioned response experiments, voters are more likely to vote for a “name” they have seen before; (3) The signs do not reflect the candidate's Skill, Knowledge, Experience, and Integrity; (4) The smaller sign is more likely to be representative of a candidate who is truly unencumbered, independent, and owes nothing to anyone.  When I vote, it will be for the candidate with the small sign.

No comments :

Post a Comment